Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Leavened wheat-and-rye bread


Finally I managed to get Iwona to give me some leaven. I admit it was the first time I got to play with starter dough, which was a greyish slush that stank a bit. I knew I had to leave some of it for further baking. But when? Before I work the new dough or after? I bet on the latter version and... it was a mistake. Yet Iwona promised me another supply of her leaven. 













"Leavened wheat-and-rye bread with dried tomatoes"

-250g wholemeal wheat flour
- 200 g wholemeal rye flour
- 150 g leaven
- 1 glass warm water
- 50g sun dried tomatoes
- 100 ml olive oil from the dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purèe
- 1 tbsp salt 

Mix the leaven with 100 ml water and 100g rye flour. Leave in a warm place for at least 12 hours. 

Mix the remaining flour with 150 ml water, add olive oil and salt. Wait for 2 hours more. 

Chop the tomatoes, add to the dough together with the purée. Place the dough in a greased baking tin, wait for 30 minutes and put in a preheated oven. Bake in 200-220C for 45 minutes. Leave to cool. 

I admit it took some time, but the result was satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment